To encourage greater diversity within the judiciary, the Judicial Office is organising a series of seminars for under-represented groups in each of the following six circuits – London (South East), Birmingham (Midlands), Cardiff (Wales), Leeds (North East), Salisbury (South West) and Manchester (North West). These are specifically for suitably qualified legal professionals who meet the eligibility criteria below.
This opportunity is open to suitably qualified legal professionals who come from one of the following groups currently under-represented in the judiciary:
- If you attended a state school and/or are first generation in your family to go to University (Social mobility).
No litigation experience is required.
Please note you must also have a minimum of five years post qualification experience and have the intention of applying for a judicial post within the next 18 months.
Locations and dates/times
- Birmingham: Victoria Law Courts, Corporation Street Birmingham West Midlands B4 6QA – Thursday 1 February 2018 (1pm to 4pm)
- Cardiff: Cardiff Crown Court, South Wales, CF10 3PG – Thursday 8 February 2018 (1pm to 4pm)
- Leeds: Leeds Magistrates Court, West Yorkshire, LS1 3BY – Thursday 15 February 2018 (1pm to 4pm)
- Salisbury: Salisbury Law Courts, Wilton Road, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP2 7EP – Thursday 1 March 2018 (1pm to 4pm)
- Manchester: Manchester Civil Justice Centre, 1 Bridge Street West, Manchester, M60 9DJ – Thursday 8 March 2018 (1pm to 4pm)
- London: Royal Courts of Justice, Royal Courts of Justice, London WC2A 2LL – Thursday 22 March 2018 (1pm to 4pm)
These bespoke half day seminars will be supported by a representative from the Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC) who will provide guidance on the selection process and a serving judge who will talk about their experience of applying for and taking on a judicial role. There will be opportunities for you to ask questions and network after the event.
Reserving your place
If you are eligible and would like to reserve a place, please complete the application form. PLEASE NOTE: The evening workshops taking place between 5pm-8:30pm (listed in grey on the application form) are bookable by judges only.
Please note there are only thirty places available for each event and they will be allocated on a first come first served basis.