A new Justice Centre, with first class facilities, was formally opened in Aberystwyth by the Lord Chief Justice today.
Aberystwyth Justice Centre brings together in a single location magistrates’, civil and tribunal hearings in West Wales.
The location of the Centre at Y Lanfa was identified as an existing building which, following redesign and refurbishment, could support the complicated access, security and segregation requirements of a modern Justice Centre. The Centre takes over the workload of the former Magistrates’ Court and County Court in Aberystwyth.
Luigi Strinati, Delivery Director for HMCTS Wales, said:
‘Aberystwyth Justice Centre demonstrates our commitment to ensuring that courts and tribunals users in Wales have access to a justice system fit for the 21st Century.
‘The justice centre provides superior accommodation and better facilities for victims and witnesses.
The Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge said:
“I am delighted to be able to open this new Justice Centre today, which will enhance the administration of justice in Wales.’
Facilities at the new court complex include:
- 2 formal courtrooms, one with a secure dock and the capability for video conferencing
- 2 flexible hearing rooms
- A modern, dedicated and secure custody unit
- A layout designed to provide access for all
- Dedicated witness service facilities.
Notes to editors:
- Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Service is responsible for the administration of the criminal, civil and family courts and tribunals in England and Wales and non-devolved tribunals in Scotland and Northern Ireland. For more information visit: www.justice.gov.uk/about/hmcts/index.htm
- Aberystwyth Justice Centre is located at Y Lanfa, Trefechan, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 1AS. For full contact information.
- Turner and Townsend were appointed by the Ministry of Justice to manage the Y Lanfa refurbishment project. The architects were HoK Ltd. and, following a competitive tender process, the successful contractor was Kier Western.